DIY Sugar Scrubs | A Rose in Bloom


Yeah, I know I know. Sugar scrubs: everyone has heard of them, everyone knows how to make them, every blogger posts them. But I am sorry, I had to do it. I recently decided to stop buying morning face wash partly because my husband got laid off so I wanted to save money, and partly because face wash is a waste of money. I thankfully don't have problem skin, so why pay for stuff I don't need? Hence, these scrubs were born. Not only do they exfoliate, but they smell great! Perfect for awakening the mind.




What you need:

  • Container for the scrub
  • Sugar
  • Grapeseed oil (or any oil, but I prefer this one)
  • Essential oil for scent - I used pink grapefruit (optional)

Instructions:

Fill the container with sugar. I like the jars from The Container Store because they are durable and affordable. I think this one was less than $2. Once full of sugar, slowly pour a little grapeseed oil over the sugar. Watch it "settle" i.e. sink to the bottom. Add a little more oil and continue letting it settle/stir it in until it has reached a firm consistency. If the scrub gets runny, add more sugar and stir it in. Lastly, add a few drops of essential oil and stir it in. You're done!



For the second scrub, I used half sugar, half Cinnamon Nut Graham coffee grinds from Coffee Times here in Lexington and left out the essential oil. Oh my gosh guys, if you like coffee scent, this is even better than the first one! I also use it on my lips to provide an even surface for matte lipsticks. It works amazing, and is delicious. I mean, you probably should not sit and eat sugar scrub, because sugar, duh. But OMG I really wanted to snack on it. Here is the exact recipe.

Coffee Grind Scrub

  • Container for the scrub
  • Sugar
  • Coffee grinds
  • Grapeseed oil


Fill the container with half sugar, half coffee grinds, and repeat the above directions!

I have been using both these scrubs nearly daily for nearly two weeks. I always feel so soft and clean, and the grapeseed oil means I don't need to use another moisturizer! Heaven in a jar.

20 comments

  1. These are great! SO easy and something fun to do at home!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love sugar scrubs! I've never tried it with the coffee! Definitely need to try it now!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly, you should try one. They really leave your skin feeling fresh.

      Delete
  3. Looks amazing, trying this for sure !
    A
    http://oldromantics.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried sugar scrubs before, but they might work. But I have to admit that they doesn't look that great!

    http://industrialbarbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, but they sure do smell good. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I've been meaning to try one for such a long time! Tell me how long do they last!? Does it have to be in a fridge!? ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marija,

      No, you do not have to store them in the fridge. While there is not an exact expiration date that I know of, I like to make no more than what I can use in a month's time. The reason I say this is because bacteria can breed easily in bathrooms due to the steam from showers. If you do not store it in the bathroom, I suspect it could last much longer. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE sugar scrubs, I haven't tried making my own yet though.. maybe one day..maybe! Coffee grinds sounds awesome to put in them, I've heard they're supposed to be really good for your skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee feels so so good... and tastes good.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this! I will definitely be trying it <3

    Sweet Madame Blue

    ReplyDelete
  8. MAYBE I WILL TRY IT, DO U WANT TO FOLLOW?

    http://www.icelawblog.com/2014/05/railway.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah this sounds great specially with those oils! Thanks for sharing <3

    xoJules
    http://forvanityssake.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would definitely try the coffee one! i've used one in the past and really loved it. the first recipe is good for lips. maybe i can stop buying the one lush sells? haha. thanks for sharing the recipes!!

    www.tiffanyeatworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely yes! I love Lush, but I do think it's overpriced.

      Delete
  11. I've never heard about it, so thank you so much for post it!


    http://labloguerapelirroja.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only tried just sugar and honey... this looks like something i'll def try :)

    ladywannabeblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use olive oil to make a scrub instead but I do much the same thing. Sugar and oil is a great scrub for your lips, you don't need that overpriced stuff from Lush

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram