Beauty Battles: MAC Ruby Woo vs Wet n Wild Stoplight Red | A Rose in Bloom
Please forgive the frizz. My hair hates humidity.







































Red is my favorite lip color. It's easy to feel all made up without actually doing all the work and I'm lazy so... yeah. I am sure by now you have noticed how often I wear a red lip anyhow, based on how often I sport red lips in my photos. My favorite, favorite red has always been MAC Ruby Woo, which is drying as the Sahara desert but the color payoff was so beautiful that I happily prepped my lips each night and scrubbed all the chapped skin of day after day. If this sounds annoying, it's because it is. That and the fact that MAC started testing on animals means I will not be repurchasing my near empty tube.

But what's a red lip loving girl to do? She is going to try the Wet n Wild matte Stoplight Red, that's what. A lot of people on various sites claim this is a true dupe to Ruby Woo. I disagree with that statement. When swatched side by side (warning, terrible picture... cannot photograph swatches to save my life), Stoplight Red has a pinkish undertone while Ruby Woo looks more like a true red. However, once on the lips, I really quite like Stoplight Red! It doesn't look pinkish at all on my skintone and feels so much creamier than Ruby Woo. Goodbye, lip prep. I'll still moisturize at night (using Jack Black lip balm), but no more scrubbing and obsessive moisturizing to make sure I'll be able to wear Ruby Woo the next day.

Oh, and the longevity ain't half bad either. Stoplight red will get me through till lunch and I usually remove my lipstick at lunch anyway.

Ruby Woo: $16. Stoplight Red: $1.99


14 comments

  1. This sounds wonderful! I've been loving these comparisons, too ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be doing them as often as I can. I will be waiting for some of my old products to run out as well.

      Delete
  2. I hate drying lipsticks! But I do love a red lip. Great review and that dog is adorable! xx

    VanessaVonJames | Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - dryness makes my lips flake and then lipstick looks horrible. This one feels nice! Thank you so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I've always been intrigued by Ruby Woo, but I do in fact already own Spotlight Red! Glad to know I can skip Ruby Woo! Also, such a sweet photo of you and your dog. <3

    xx Chrystin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally skip it! I love the color, but this one is close enough and Ruby Woo is so much work that's it's not worth the effort, especially if you are busy. Which, let's face it, we're all busy. I hope to try some NYX reds too because I've heard good things about them. We'll see!

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited for your transition into cruelty free products! Glad to see you're finding what you're looking for :) Like the color.

    Christina
    www.cityloveee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I'm also going to be looking at a few more vegan options too. Just tried the Elf creme eyeliner and it's pretty sweet. Now I'm just playing the waiting game with some of my products. I don't want to throw out perfectly good blushes, you know? I feel like it's wasteful to not use them up, but IDK!!!

      Delete
  5. I had no idea MAC started testing on animals! Bye, bye MAC products. Especially if you can find a similar product that is cruelty free and moisturizing on your lips! I'll have to give Wet and Wild Stoplight a go. Thank you so much for the info and review!
    (p.s. I haven't been around the blogs in a while and LOVE LOVE LOVE your new layout! It looks amazing!!)

    The What's In Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, apparently it happened a while ago, when they opened their market to China who requires animal testing for all cosmetic products. It makes me sad that a company would compromise their values to make even more money... it's not like they weren't profitable already.

      Thanks for the compliment! I finally caved and purchased a new template on Etsy and I love how clean and professional my blog looks. It's like I have a big girl blog now. :P

      Delete
  6. Not only did you find a fabulous dupe, but the cost savings is astronomical. Good for you!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! MAC gets more expensive every year. Even if they didn't animal test I would probably be on the lookout to save some cash. I'll post more lipsticks as I find them!

      Delete
  7. I like that you support companies that don't test on animals, always a plus!

    http://www.mintnotion.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad about MAC! :/ But excited to try this alternate red you've found -- it looks gorgeous on you!! There's just something about red, always fabulous!! xo

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram