Why Writing is STILL the Most Important Aspect of Blogging | A Rose in Bloom

Many moons ago I read someone else's blog post about why writing doesn't really matter in the blogosphere (ugh, that word) anymore. I can't remember where I read it, but I do remember several points she made: people mostly look at the pictures, they skim the text, people are overwhelmed by large amounts of text... in three words: People don't read. While I do agree that many people simply skim the text, I very firmly believe the author was wrong about writing being unimportant. Very, very wrong. Coincidentally, around the same time I had also read a blog post titled "Is there any room for writers on the Internet Any More?". Well, I would like to consider myself at least a decent writer, so naturally my knee jerk reaction was to run outside and scream yes! Yes, there is more than enough room for us on the Internet! In fact, there should be more writers on the internet!

And there should be more quality writers. Personally, I still think writing is the most important aspect of blogging for many reasons.

One of the biggest reasons for this is, as a writer, I like to read! If you write an essay to go with your latest outfit or photography post, rest assured that I am going to read your words when they grace my screen. In fact, I would usually rather read words than have a video tutorial. (Speaking of which, video is apparently the latest fad in blogging. Well, I'm sorry, but that's not going to work for me. While I have admittedly enjoyed learning about photography, videography is not my thing, and I have no desire to be in front of a video camera, thus showing you how clumsy I can be. But that's a rant for another day.) If the author is good, and they have something worthwhile to say, I really think quite a lot of people read blog posts. In fact, I think we read, period.

You see, reading is how we learn about the world around us. We wouldn't be looking at blog posts if we weren't looking for information or at least entertainment. We don't read the news or crack open a novel only for the pictures, so why would an outfit post or DIY tutorial be any different? Why would we seek any information if we did not want to find answers to our questions? Simply put, we wouldn't. Or at least I wouldn't.  When you write a blog post, whether it is a recipe, a tutorial, or even an outfit post, people get curious about your thoughts and opinions and sometimes even what you had for breakfast. Now, to be clear, there will always be people who skim, but those people are likely not coming back to your blog anyway, or at least will not be a regular contributor to your content. So please, writers of the Internet, speak to us as readers, not just photo viewers, and I promise to do the same.


Before we go any further I must say the following: I am not bashing on photography. I LOVE photography! This blog would not be the same without the photography! In fact, my photography journey has been one of the most fulfilling artistic experiences of my life. Nonetheless, if I only wanted to look at pictures, I would run to Pinterest and Instagram, just like if I only wanted to post photos all the time, I would use Pinterest and Instagram. Blogs are, in my opinion, for savoring the content, not just rapidly hitting "like." There's a little more to it than that.

Blogging is, in my opinion, a complete art form. As with all arts, the proper tools are necessary to create: cameras need lenses and dancers need shoes. To be missing writing in blogging is to have a painting without a paintbrush. Sure, you can smear the colors around, but at the end of the day the message may not be as clear as it would have been with the proper tools. Furthermore, art begets art, so to have multiple art forms together as one provides a greater perspective and a sense of completion. A blog post with only photos can be fun some of the time, but really, I want to open something with all of the pieces - a mixed media puzzle pieced together with intention, so to speak. I want to connect with bloggers and feel like there is some sort of reader-writer relationship. And I don't think I'm the only one.

What about you? Are you into writing and reading or not so much?

Stay Beautiful,

XOXO Liz

                                                                   Follow

17 comments

  1. I agree with you, there's still room for writers on the internet! =D That's why I started my own page, even though I didn't have the time to keep it updated for a while, but it is a way to incentive those who love reading and writing anything interesting outthere!
    And you're doing great with your photography! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Anyone who has anything to say should be crafting words.

      Delete
  2. Yes, 100% agree with you! Blogging would be nothing without words! People READ blogs to learn about style, books, make up, entertainment, etc. You simply can't have a blog without words. Ain't possible. If I went to a blog that was just pictures I would be bored and it wouldn't have any context. I also have no interest in video. I like watching YouTube videos, but I would be horrible behind a camera!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad to see other's agree. I hate when I open a post full of gorgeous pictures and only find a few sentences to caption them. I feel like that's what Instagram is for, you know? I love to look at people's art, but without telling me the context I feel a little lost.

      Delete
  3. i was literally nodding my head in agreement throughout this post. Whilst i too love photography and as a visual person I love to see creative photos; if the writings not there I'm probably not going to come back to the blog. There is definitely still room on the internet for writers and I'd like to think there always will be!

    http://www.thewhimsicalwildling.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not alone! It's nice to have context to go with bits of beauty!

      Delete
  4. This rings true for me! I wouldn't have started blogging or reading blogs if there was no text involved. I always love it when I can feel someone's voice in their writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. In fact, my favorite blogs are my favorite because I love the writing. Gorgeous photography is actually rather easy to find. Rich words on the other hand are much rarer and therefore more valuable IMO.

      Delete
  5. I think that writings gives the photography all more personality as you can feel the artist's character behind the pictures. When people say that words don't matter in the nowadays "bloggosphere" they do have a point, we are constantly striving towards fast and easy accessible content and visuals, but writing should not be underestimated. Words are powerful and that won't change.

    wondrwall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is part of why people wonder if the writing matters - many people skim through. Nonetheless, I do feel like if the words are really good, people will cling to them. Only time will tell!

      Delete
  6. I always hope people still care about writing! I started blogging because I like to write, and I still waffle on an awful lot. I suspect a lot of people aren't really reading though, which is clear even on places where captions are short, like Instagram, and you post an outfit with a caption saying where you got it and how much it cost and then 10 people ask you where you got it from and how much it cost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I hate when that happens! Or when people simply comment "great post!!!" on a blog post that took you hours to perfect. Yeah...

      Delete
  7. Totally agree!! Great post

    Hope you're having an awesome day! Kisses,
    BLOG | Taislany

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to read books and definitely a good blogpost, but
    I'll be honest I skim too every now and then. Especially
    when a blogpost is a bit on the 'long' side. I think
    when you write a blog, you should also be smart with using
    words c: and of course placing pictures. I too am not
    too good with video so I'm sticking with pen and notebook
    and keyboard haha xx Ice Pandora

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with this! I do skim sometimes, if a post is especially long, but I don't think that you can blog without at least a little bit of writing. There's many other social media platforms for just posting photos, but I love the blend of photos and writing that blogging provides ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually try to avoid blogs that don't have any writing because I think it defeats the point of blogging, if its the odd post that doesn't have any then I don't mind.

    Meme xx

    New Post:
    Beauty Blender Dupe//Avon Precision Make-Up Sponge
    www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a wonderful post! :)
    I completely agree with you. I mean, I started blogging to improve my writing skills, so to me, writing is the essence of blogging. Sure, pictures are nice, but not as necessary. By writing you share a big part of yourself that may not be as well communicated by using pictures.
    Everyone tends to skim when a blog post is a bit too long. But it just happens that some of us have a lot we want to write about and take hours to make a post perfect, so I wish that more people would appreciate our effort and read the whole thing.

    xx
    Stephanie
    http://stephie-jo-vs-life.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram