Chocolate Calcium Rich Smoothie | A Rose in Bloom
For those that do not know, I cannot drink milk.  I can eat dairy all day, but for some reason I can't make myself drink a glass of milk.  Because of this, I have to look for my calcium elsewhere, which turns out to be a good thing, since recent studies are suggesting that calcium is best absorbed from food instead of milk anyway.  Fortunately, I found this recipe over at Free People's BLDG 25 blog, and with a very few adjustments I can create a calcium powerhouse for my body.  Best part is that it's gluten free and vegan, and while I normally wouldn't touch a vegan meal, this really hits the spot.

Recipe from Free People:

Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie Recipe (Gluten Free + Vegan)
3c Ice Cubes
1 Ripe Banana
1c Kale or Spinach
12oz Almond Milk
1tbs Coco Powder
1tbs Natural Peanut Butter
1tsp Agave Nectar
Blend till smooth!

Source: Happy Foods: Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie Recipe | Free People Blog http://blog.freepeople.com/2013/02/happy-foods-chocolate-peanut-butter-banana-smoothie-recipe/#ixzz2XvhUGccU


I always, always use kale in this recipe, as it holds much more calcium than spinach and provides a heartier texture for a meal replacement.  I also like to add a tablespoon of chia seeds for that extra calcium boost.  The banana and agave add the perfect sweetness, so it tastes a lot more decadent than it seems!  Enjoy!
Trader Joe's really ought to give my free food for all the product placement




Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram