Which Brand is Most Prominent in Your Closet? | A Rose in Bloom
Free People Easy Breezy Crochet Slip outfit inspiration, Free People Southern Cross Booties, Lexington Kentucky style, Free People ootd, lexington ky fashion bloggerWhew! Supposedly it's fall... at least that's what the calendar says. Nonetheless, we have had a few last 80 degree days this past week, so as much as I'm craving cozy sweaters, my new Chelsea boots, and ripped skinnies (aka, the traditional White Girl fall outfit) I'll go ahead and keep enjoying breezy dresses that allow just enough air to kiss my skin as I float down the streets of Lexington. I'm sure as soon as that first good snow hits I'll be craving cool summer breezes and the clothes that follow, so it's best to not jump too far ahead. Winter will be long and there is plenty of time for sweaters later. For now, I'm wearing one of my favorite dresses and dealing with something that's been bugging me for a while.
Free People Easy Breezy Crochet Slip in black


Free People Easy Breezy Crochet Slip outfit inspiration, Free People Southern Cross Booties, Lexington Kentucky style, Free People ootd, lexington ky fashion blogger

Free People Easy Breezy Crochet Slip outfit inspiration, Free People Southern Cross Booties, Lexington Kentucky style, Free People ootd, lexington ky fashion blogger
Free People Easy Breezy Crochet Slip outfit inspiration, Free People Southern Cross Booties, Lexington Kentucky style, Free People ootd, lexington ky fashion blogger

Free People Easy Breezy Crochet Slip outfit inspiration, Free People Southern Cross Booties, Lexington Kentucky style, Free People ootd, lexington ky fashion blogger, free people crochet racerback bra

Free People Easy Breezy Crochet Slip outfit inspiration, Free People Southern Cross Booties, Lexington Kentucky style, Free People ootd, lexington ky fashion blogger, free people crochet racerback bra

free people crochet racerback bra


Free People Easy Breezy Crochet Slip outfit inspiration, Free People Southern Cross Booties, Lexington Kentucky style, Free People ootd, lexington ky fashion blogger, free people crochet racerback bra


Dress: Free People Crochet Slip//Bra: Free People Seamless Racerback Crochet//Shoes: Free People Southern Cross Booties

It has come to my attention that most of my clothes come from Free People, with Anthropologie and H&M coming behind and Goodwill (ok, not a brand but still) beginning to catch up to the latter two brands. I’m not going to lie – I, being the overthinker that I am, almost panicked when I realized this a few weeks ago. Does that look bad? Should I be branching out and finding new and different brands? I try to have a minimal wardrobe – do I need to ditch a few of my Free People pieces to introduce a more varied clothes diet? Do other people notice all my clothes come from FP and Anthro?

I can't believe I even thought this, if only for a minute! Worrying about how many items I own from one brand? That's just silly and waste of good brain energy. While it may look like I have too much of the same old thing to some people, these are my clothes. I wear what makes me happy. As I said in this post, it’s 2015! Wear what you want! Personal style has more options than it ever has and I don't think we should put ourselves in a box based on worries of what other people would think. 

Furthermore, throughout the years I’ve done a lot of decluttering and have carefully curated my closet to only include things I love most – so what if it’s mostly the same 3 brands? Everything goes together and blends in the way that I envisioned. It may sound cheesy, but every day getting dressed makes me happy because I know whatever I choose will feel like a little blessing. I am grateful to be able to make a choice at all.

I mean, think about it, being able to actually make style choices is a privilege. A great, big, fat privilege. Historically speaking, only the very elite would be able to choose what they want to wear. Some people even wore cloth sacks as dresses because they had to. In some countries, people still wear what we would consider garbage. You and I so very, very lucky to be able to choose a personal style and favorite brand. With this in consideration, I won't be wasting my energy any longer wondering if some other first world person with too much time on their hands considers my brand choices, or if my clothes are too similar.

Today, I'll embrace the fact that one brand makes up half my closet. I'll relish in the fact that I feel damn happy whenever I wear my pieces and I know I am privileged to choose what I wear each day. Life is too short to worry about clothes.

What brand is most prominent in your closet? Are you proud of it?

See how else I styled this slip here.

16 comments

  1. What a wonderful post, Liz. I think being able to reflect upon materialistic ruminations is what helps us better ourselves as people. I don't own branded clothes at all so I don't have the same exact thoughts as you do, but I do agree with the fact that we're so much luckier than people in countries and history who are not able to wear whatever the hell they want.

    Loved this! (And you rock that slip like nobody else!)

    May | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome and thank you! I always hate if people think I am super brand conscious, which is part of why I wrote this post. I'm actually not brand conscious at all... it's just that over the past 8 years I've organically gravitated towards FP! Though I rarely go clothes shopping at all anymore. I already have so many wonderful pieces. :)

      Delete
  2. I don't think it's a bad thing to have a lot of clothes from one place as long as no one notices which they never do! We have been getting warmer fall weather too! I just want it to be warm enough for layers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, no one notices, and if they do, you don't need 'em in your life!

      Delete
  3. Great post! That dress is so gorgeous, I wouldn't blame you if you wore it every day! I wish my wardrobe was all Free People their stuff is amazing, but it's so much more expensive here in the UK! :(

    Anoushka Probyn - A London Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's expensive period, IMO. Hence why I've only bought a few pieces per year forever, ha!

      Delete
  4. Love this look so much. What a stunning dress. Free People just has the best pieces!

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They do have the best pieces, but I think in the past few years they've had some real duds as far as quality goes. Maybe that's an idea for a later post, ha.

      Delete
  5. I had noticed that you wear a lot of Free People, but I probably only noticed this because I too am a huge Free People fan and can spot an item from a mile away. Free People used to dominate my closet when my parents used to pay for my clothes or later when I was working but still lived at home so I didn't have any expenses. Now, I shop from various places... pretty much online only since I do not like the shopping here (and it's super expensive anyway), and I almost always, if not always, wait for sales now. It's funny... I used to hate shopping sales and now I find it exciting! I would say that a good majority of my closet was purchased on sale. I feel like the blogging world has opened my eyes to many brands I had never even heard of before which has contributed to the variation in my closet nowadays. As I get older I try to work on purchasing staple pieces that I can keep for years unlike in the past when I would buy the most unique or colorful thing and then only wear it a few times or get sick of it.
    But let me get back to Free People while it's still on my mind....I never got my 15% birthday coupon from them this month. WTF?! haha
    Maybe it's for the better...

    xx Chrystin
    http://amateandarottweiler.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally feel you. I bought 0 clothes during my BA trip because wtf at those prices. In all honesty though, I rarely buy FP anymore (aka - in the past 18 months or so). I'm not really buying many new clothes period right now, because I don't need anything and I need to save money, but I don't feel like FP quality lives up to the price anymore! Everything I have worn on this blog was either purchased quite a while ago, with my birthday coupon, or on clearance at Macy's. I never, ever buy their trend pieces because those really are terrible quality. Most of my stuff is from their permanent line, which is better quality but declining as well. Honestly, I didn't even use my birthday coupon this year because everything I looked at seemed shoddily made, like it wouldn't last very long from average wear. Maybe I am super picky, but if I'm spending $100 on a dress I feel like I can be picky! I am eyeing a pair of boots from their permanent line though so hopefully they'll have sale this Christmas season!

      I do feel like I have gotten more particular as I get older too. I want things to last! I have also been focused on lovable basics, though my basics are different from most. Like, I have one old FP slip in 3 colors that I wear all the time... as readers have seen, ha! Everything is mix and matchable in my closet now and everything has, so far, met the test of time. When I find something I love I don't want it to tear up quickly!

      tl;dr: I have fallen out of love with FPs quality lately but will continue to rock what I already own.

      Delete
  6. You look beautiful!

    www.thesparklingdarling.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve just found your blog and I’d like to say that I’m in love with it!
    Your posts, style of writing and photos are amazing! You do a great job!

    I’ll be happy to see you in my blog!)

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wear a lot of FP and H&M as well, I've had similar thoughts, but landed on, I dont care as long as I love what I'm wearing. I could definitely do better on the decluttering front. I tried to do this when I moved, but I still have two closets and a dresser full of clothes -- ridiculous.

    Anyway, Love your style, even if its all from the same stores, its YOUR style :)

    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a lovely blog you have !!

    Great post had a great read :)

    keep up the good work !!



    Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    come say hi

    Jade

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram