3 Reasons Why I Avoid Over Accesorizing | A Rose in Bloom
Free People Voile and Lace Trapeze Slip style for fall
Oh joy of joys. As much as it makes me sound like a basic white girl, I love fall. I love the carpets of leaves. I love the sounds of crunching underneath my feet. I love how even the city looks like the forest. And I love fall outfits. It seems to me, that in the fall especially, you don't have to really work all that hard to make a great outfit, which is perfect for me because I tend to forget accessories anyway. Not that I don't love them, it's just that nowadays I don't think I need much more than finger rings, and sometimes I even forgo those (though not today, obviously). Actually, there are several reasons why I don't accessorize that much anymore.


how to wear Free People Voile and Lace Trapeze Slip in cold weather
how to transition Free People Voile and Lace Trapeze Slip for fall and winter

how to wear Frye James Lace Up Boots


how to layer Free People Voile and Lace Trapeze Slip
how to style Free People Voile and Lace Trapeze Slip in fall




First and foremost, I have to admit the biggest reason I don't use a whole whole lot of accessories in day to day life is that I am lazy and forgetful. Yep, sometimes I actually do plan to go all out - rings, necklaces, bracelets, earrings... you get the picture. Then I rush out of the apartment, realize I put on none of these things, am super thankful I at least remembered a scarf or jacket, and then realize with exasperation that I forgot to put on mascara. If I can't even remember all of my makeup, how am I supposed to remember all of my jewelry?!* This may or may not be why there is a spare tube of mascara in my desk at work... ahem. Anyway! I don't worry about accessories too much because I've learned to accept that I am forgetful, among other things. However, while I do often forget, there are many times that I don't always feel like accessories are much needed, anyway.

Think about it, good clothes speak for themselves. This dress, which I apparently wear all the time (3 of my most popular posts include this dress) is such a beauty that I don't really need a lot for it. This time, I simply put on my rings, added some patterned tights and a cardigan, and I felt amazing. I didn't need to fiddle around with more. I find myself leaning more and more this way despite the fact that this attitude kind of contradicts what I used to think my personal style should be. I definitely feel like my style leans more towards contemporary bohemian, which tends to look like this, but now I'm thinking it's more minimalist bohemian (which I am totally making a thing). While I definitely have had my days where I throw everything on, I don't really find it necessary all the time. In fact, in many instances too many accessories can take away from the outfit. Case in point: I personally loved that part of the focus of this shoot was the vibrant leaves carpeting the sidewalk. Nothing needed to take away from the perfect beauty of Mother Nature herself.

Another reason I don't wear a huge variety of accessories all the time is that, believe it or not, I'm actually a minimalist. I love styling and clothes, but I personally believe in owning only what I need and love and can guarantee good use. So to date, I own only a handful of rings, about 6 bracelets, 3 statement necklaces (one of which was a gift), and probably less than 10 pairs of earrings. I'm not going to go count, but I'm pretty sure it's less than 10. Everything I have is worn on a semi-regular basis (for the days when I'm not a total train wreck), but my point is that I like to keep my life simplified. So my few accessories are there for when I want them, but if I forget then they just weren't important that day. I like to feel easy and simple and I firmly believe that you absolutely can look put together without them.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering why I spent so much time talking about accessories when I don't really wear them that much. Or maybe you weren't, but you are now because I mentioned it. The reason is that I do think a lot of people work too hard to get all the little pieces to their outfit just right while constantly browsing Pinterest for comparisons. Well, getting dressed should be fun! Not to say getting all the little details perfect is not fun sometimes, because it really, really can be a blast, but if you're stressing and wondering if you are going to look "complete" to the world every day, you aren't doing yourself any favors. When I first started blogging outfits, I did think about it. A lot. And it turned out that I would take half a dozen outfit shoots and hated every one of them because I overthought the process (as I am wont to do about everything in life - just ask my husband!) and I didn't feel like anything looked as whole and complete as other bloggers with a similar aesthetic as myself. Now, I don't care, because, as I have mentioned before, personal style is just that - personal. I firmly believe you don't owe anyone anything regarding your personal style and you certainly don't need to sit around comparing your outfits to others.


*Proof of point: I had lipstick in my purse for this shoot, and I still forgot to put it on.

P.S. Apparently, I also do not care if my cami line shows under my dress. Hashtag WHATEVER! Seriously though, my only complaint about the Free People Voile and Lace Trapeze slips is that you HAVE to wear something underneath if you don't want the world to see your undies.

                                                                   Follow

28 comments



  1. Cute post and really creative!!

    Happy November!! Can you believe the year is almost over!MyLyfeMyStory

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this photos, you look fab! I would love to wear more accessories like rings and necklaces, but I literally ALWAYS forget too put them on, and I'm too lazy as well aha! When I wear jewellery it really annoys me too.

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I am not the only one who forgets.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, I totally agree. I am so happy to read this post because everything else I've seen says to over accesorize, and that really just doesn't work for me! Maybe someday I'll get to the point where I can do that, but for now it's nice to know that there's someone else who thinks an outfit can be simple and still stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, lots of people say different things. I think style should be whatever you are most comfortable with, because at the end of the day comfort = confident = stylish.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful look, you have a great style! I often forgot accessories....I own and collect jewels of jewels of jewels...and go out without wearing them *.* But I agree with you, less is more and a simple style is more comfortable. I follow :)

    http://darkwoodenpath.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous fall photography! Looking flawlessly stunning and naturally beaut as always. I definitely can relate; as much as I can't live without my sunglasses I think sometimes keeping it simple is where it's at regarding accessories. Sometimes I lack jewellery but that's not a bad thing <3

    Sophie | soinspo xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love sunglasses myself and I will say that I wear them frequently, but is because I don't like having the sun in my eyes, haha. I should take more photographs actually wearing them.

      Delete
  7. Like they say, less is always more and I am a firm believer in that. I don't really do accessories much myself, not like when I was younger. I find they irritate and annoy me and I especially can't wear them all day. Even at home. I don't even wear my watch. It just feels heavy and gets in the way. And I feel the same way about styling them with clothing. Sometimes the outfit doesn't even need it and other times becomes too cluttered and messy.

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! Plus, I have an office job so bracelets just clank against the desk and annoy me! It's good to appreciate simplicity.

      Delete
  8. I get what you feel about forgetting to put on accessories. I have some on my vanity just rotting because I honestly can't remember they exist when I'm getting ready xD

    Joyce | Joycentricity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually donated a lot of accessories a few years back for that reason. I hope someone is loving them.

      Delete
  9. I actually do own a lot of jewelry, but I'm definitely a little too lazy to actually wear it/ change it haha ;)

    Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! My rings are the only thing I wear on a semi-daily basis. I don't want to think too hard by bringing in variety. :P

      Delete
  10. I LOVE your free people slip and you look absolutely gorgeous in it. Tights, slips, cardigans... ah total dream outfit + my fave this time of year!! Also accessories? I'm right there with ya, even if I do wear them, they all end up in my tote an hour later! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Into the purse they go. Thank you, this is one of my favorite types of outfits too!

      Delete
  11. I'm am exactly like you, I keep my accessories simple and pretty minimal ♥
    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. interesting perspective! I am bi polar with my jewelry, I wither layer it all on or have days when I choose to wear none :)

    xx Sera | STARDUSTBOHEMIAN.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely do have days where I wear a lot of jewelry. I just have to have the right mood strike, which hasn't happened since about July. :/

      Delete
  13. I'm literally writing an autumnal blog post right now about how happy I am at this time of year! The colours are just perfect <3

    Kristy x

    www.theballadofmywanderingtoes.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great reasons for not over accessorizing! I totally agree! Mostly, I'm just lazy and forget, but I like the idea of letting the clothes speak for themselves! I tend to wear a lot of color, so they're already loud!
    ~Sara
    Sincerely, Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! And for what it's worth, I've never looked at any of your outfits and thought you needed more jewelry!

      Delete
  15. These are all great reasons! I don't tend to accessorize, but sometimes I feel like one or two little accessories can really pull a look together ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  16. gorgeous look!I tend to not over accessorize, mainly because I have a little one who likes to pull on things from time to time. And I tend to not want to risk it . Your style is lovely

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram