Where the Birds Always Go | A Rose in Bloom
It's been an unusually warm winter this year. On Christmas Eve all I needed was a light sweater layered over my dress to keep the chill at bay. While I am certainly not longing for the 3 degree mornings we had last winter, there seems to be something wrong with dancing in warm, golden evening light on Christmas Eve. I felt like there should have been at least a little more chill to crack through my skin and tickle my bones, but instead, I got one evening of golden sunlight followed by a week of various tints of gray hovering above the trees.






Maybe it's the grey skies, but I have felt like writing again. Reading, writing, and a little more reading while I wait for those first Kentucky snowflakes to waltz away from the sun and into my eyes. Today is more waiting, just like yesterday, and I wish there was a little snow with a longer afternoon so I could photograph (really, the sun sets at 5:20!). But those days are for the future. Today, I feel like letting words spill onto my screen like a milk jug toppled over onto homework. I don't have a lesson to teach, only words to dance across pages. Maybe I am that milk that is spreading, spreading, like a bird stretching its wings.

Lately, I have felt like a bird. Not because I am dancing in the golden hour in the winter, but because our winter feels like a spring. When the birds fly south for the winter, how far do they go? Do they jet all the way to sunny Florida, or do they stop when the skies begin to leak warmth again? If our skies are leaking their warmth and goodness, do not the birds stand by us and enjoy the sun as well? Have they stopped to love it with us, or do they keep going to for even better rays?

These thoughts run through my head on the dark mornings, but then I see all my dead wooded areas. There are places where the flowers once were and branches devoid of any life. The ground snaps when I walk and things rattle when the wind brushes them with its airy scarf and I don't hear any birds. I hear strings of life rattling, trying to grasp the branches before they blow away for good. So I guess winter is here. Winter is playing a trick on us. It has taken all the joys of the other seasons but not given us the promise of fluffy white blankets and frozen drippings like glass blown onto pine needles. Winter is being more cruel than it ever has been, but it won't be that way for much longer. The forests and the plains will have a layer of cotton on them soon enough, and then I know that the birds will slowly begin to creep back across state lines and those Mean Reds will be put to death until the next winter.

In the meantime, I shall write, let coffee slide into me like a waterfall, and read the beautiful words of those proven to be more effective that mine. Life will be a series of beautiful moments.

Stay beautiful,

XOXO Liz


                                                                   Follow

16 comments

  1. These photos are so dreamy, love your dress
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's old Betsey Johnson dress from about 6 years ago.

      Delete
  2. These photos are super dreamy, and I love you outfit! The layers are perfect! This is the strangest Winter here as well, though I guess that's to be expected in Texas.

    Amber | y a c h t s m a a n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did hear Texas was having an odd winter. I guess no one knows what to expect anymore!

      Delete
  3. love the sunlight peeking through in these pictures! the print on your dress is so lovely too! :)

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, you bring the seasons and earth to life with your words! Your choice of onomatopoeias are brilliant and, gah, your tone is so dreamy -- very complementary of your photographs, too. You're like a bohemian writing princess of some sort -- teach me your ways of taking such incredible photos!

    I feel the same way with writing; I tend to write more when the weather is moody. Perhaps there is a psychological explanation for this but, for now, I'll welcome gray skies with open arms and strings of words with an open heart.

    May | THE MAYDEN | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks. Really though, my husband and I just look for good lighting and nature most often provides that. Anything with a woodsy background creates a little storybook ready for the creating!

      Fall/Winter is actually my favorite season, though it may not seem like it lately. I do love the coziness and the ability to stay in with hot drinks and read and write. In the summer I feel pressured to be outside doing something all the time.

      Delete
  5. I love your boho dress! It's beautiful. Love the pictures, very vintage!

    Lots of love,
    Kayla xo // Kayla's Vibration

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, fellow Liz! :D Your photos are so beautiful and atmospheric, I love your poetic and bohemian style! So happy to come across your blog! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (doing follow for follow on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your outfit is so stunning, love the skirt for a starter and all the photos give a very good message (: love your blog. x

    http://birdiethgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is so 90s! I love it! I don't mind the warm winter, but I do kind of wish there was more of a chill in the air! I like earning the warmth of spring and summer, you know? I've ALWAYS wondered where birds go in the winter and how far South they go too!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's definitely an El Nino year! We've been getting a ton of rain in California, which is what we need, but flooding is now a concern.

    I read somewhere that people are more creative when it's cold out, so that might be part of the cause of the writing! "It has taken all the joys of the other seasons but not given us the promise of fluffy white blankets and frozen drippings like glass blown onto pine needles" I love this line!

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram