On Choosing an Art Form | A Rose in Bloom


Chopped lettuce scattered in a bowl and nothing else. Sometimes I am really bad at finishing things. Sometimes, I never finish at all.

There are so very many thing I want to do, you know. I want to write a book, or even a short story. I would love to return to acting and I've been dying to try my hand at music, but I feel like these tiny fingertips would only produce tears. Another art form tried and abandoned.



But does one really need to try their hand at every art? I'm still not sure. I used to draw and then transitioned to painting, but between an overbearing homeschool education and dedicating every Tuesday (yes, the entire day) to drawing and painting, I quickly fizzled out into a tiny stub of a wick crisp and delicate from excessive wear. One day I just stopped and that was that. I felt the chapter ending so I closed the book. I have not picked up a brush or pencil since, except for to paint with words. In fact, the only art form I have kept flowing through my fountain consistently is dance - ballet and modern will be always be a part of my life. How I chose to keep dance in the rotation, even after it necessitated a surgery, I will never know.

It just happened. I had to choose one art form to keep.



How is it that those of us more artistically inclined choose a final art form? How do we choose that which will dominate our lives and that which will slip away like grains of sand retreating back into the ocean? Do we just see what we do not want to quit? Perhaps our lives are divided into little stages, as if to say ,"You needed to draw all those years to learn that you can create art, but you don't need it anymore, so it is being taken away and replaced with something else." If this is the case, it is rather frightening to see loves wax and wane, don't you think? I hope my love of a lens or the assembly of letters never leaves me, but everything comes in stages.



Someday, my knees will crack and my back will ache and my legs will no longer listen to the notes of a piano. Instead they will cry and ache with a plea to stop. What will replace a pair of ballet slippers and delicate, soft pink tights? I've never had a backup plan. Maybe I will try music someday, after all.

What do you think? Is it better to be choose one art form to polish like a silver spoon, or is it better to have a few different paths to happiness? I'm really asking, as I have asked a whole lot of questions in this post today, and I have answers to none of them.

Stay Beautiful,

XOXO Liz

                                                                   Follow


12 comments

  1. I always love how insightful your posts are! But what a have to say is, why must we choose only one art? I love to sing dance, and act, and they all seem to blend together in a perfect harmony. But I could never stop dabbling in all of the other artistic pastimes that I love so much, only to devote my life to one thing. I don't think that I could ever devote my life to one thing. Why do people in our lives always tell us to narrow down our passions, and that we can only choose one thing? I think that like would be rather unhappy if we could only choose one form of art for the rest of our lives. Like you said, humans are ever changing ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally some art forms call me for different reasons. The mediums offer different ways of communicating. I really enjoy experimental performance art as well as blogging because it opens up a real rawness and liveness in the communication.
    This is such a thought-provoking post and a great opportunity to examine oneself as an artists :).

    Nicky xx | www.curious-journeying.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures are beautiful, I just love the skirt! I'm always looking for new blogger friends and I love your blog, let me know if you would like to follow each other and stay in touch! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think when we're little kids, it's great to try your hand at everything. You never know what will stick or what it turns out you like or what you're good at. But as we all get older, I think it's best to filter things out. I agree that we don't have to do everything and it's nice to focus on one or two art forms that are important to us. For me that's writing and photography and occasionally drawing, though I used to do it a lot more.
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I think it is good to have multiple hobbies and not just one art form.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such an insightful post! I think it's important to try out different mediums as you never know what you might be good at until you give it a go yourself! x
    www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. very beautiful especially the skirt love it,I like more path more different art and stuff but is very individual thing
    galantosfun

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an interesting and thought-provoking post! I have asked myself the same questions many time - I believe that it's important to be creative and artsy in life and I don't think I could ever live without practising an art form. For me it used to be playing the piano (although I still play occasionally) and then it changed to blogging and playing the guitar. I think it's best to listen to our hearts and our intuition because like you said, some forms of art will only be part of our lives for a short time. I am afraid that I will stop to enjoy blogging one day, mainly because I could never admit it to myself xx

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos. It was great to read this, as an artist myself, I don't feel restricted to one art form. I guess I started with writing, which turned into songwriting, then poetry, then spoken word... and in terms of visual art, I went from drawing, to painting, to sculpture, to photography, to video work! I've never really settled on one medium, and I don't think I ever will!

    xx Alyssa
    visionsofnyc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you each and every one! I am beyond touched by each of your thoughtful responses. It is nice to not feel so alone in the giant sea of artistry. I agree that we are all doing what is best for ourselves, at the time in which is right for ourselves. Again, thank you so much for these beautiful comments. It was a joy to read each and every one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suspect art is something to pursued in the same way that we have seasons: perhaps there's a season in our lives for every art form, and they can be revisited whenever we like? I write and play the piano, but I've always wanted to learn to draw still life. I haven't picked up charcoals since my art GCSE, but I hope it might come to be one of my favourite hobbies! :) Flora x

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram