Life is a Work in Progress and So Am I + Gratitude | A Rose in Bloom

Free People Voile and Lace Trapeze Slip for fall
If you are wondering if you've seen this outfit before, you definitely have. Almost one year ago to date, in fact. I was looking back at some old posts and it really amazes me how much I have grown in 2015. My photography (and that of my husband and brother, each of whom has been taught how to photograph me when needed) is so much better, my poses are better, and I feel much better about the quality I've provided to you, my dear readers. Every since I decided to make quality my number one priority, which, consequently, I thought meant abandoning outfit posts, I've really been proud of some of the work I've brought to the table. That is why we are going back one year as an homage to growth.

Free People Military Ruffle Twill Jacket styleFree People Military Ruffle Twill Jacket style

Free People Military Ruffle Twill Jacket style





Dress: Free People Voile and Lace Trapeze Slip
Jacket: Free People Military Twill Jacket
Socks: Free People Fiddler Tall Sock
Boots: Free People Joe Lace Up

Besides obtaining my Nikon and 50mm lens (which I really, really recommend for upcoming bloggers), I've also changed a lot about myself. I'm happier. I've learned to love the body I have, which has consequently led to a little weight loss (don't stress and good things happen!). I've also learned to have more patience than I did last fall, which has really been the key to my quality. Oh friends, if only you saw all the frustrated messes of posts in progress. All the heartaches when my eyes weren't in focus. All the sighs at the sun coming out on a cloudy day, thus ruining my perfect location. All the fights with my camera over obtaining just the right focus, lighting, and sharpness that I so desperately want. Yes, there have been many a shoot that didn't make it here because I didn't think the quality was good enough. And I feel so much better about it! No more posts that look like one year ago.

But onto this outfit. It was far too good to let last year's crummy photography be it's sole history. Because this is still one of my most loved outfits, I knew I needed to do it justice. So in honor of its one year anniversary, we will discuss why this outfit is so perfect for late September. It's the perfect transitional outfit for when the mornings and evenings are chilly but the afternoons golden and warm. Nothing can quite make my mood like tall socks, boots, and my favorite slip, which can be styled and layered anyway I want. You could almost have a tumblr dedicated solely to styling this slip! Speaking of which, I am so sorry, but I do fear the next post also contains the voile and lace trapeze slip, but of a different color and a grunge-esque style. What can I say? It's a favorite and I believe in restyling your favorites all the time so that the piece can bring you as much joy as it's allowed in life. 

This jacket, which fit me better when I was a little bigger, is also a favorite. Perhaps I should get it tailored to be more fitted? Either way, nothing can stop me from wearing it this fall with joy in my heart at all the little ruffles in the back, for it's the little details that make a piece worth owning. What can I say about my scarf, now? It was a precious gift from my mother, picked especially for me from the streets of San Francisco. It's no secret that I love scarves and this one is probably my most loved. I wear it constantly in the fall and on winter days that don't demand wool.

Oh dear, I am afraid I may be rambling just a bit, but I just want to say thank you to everyone who has read this blog for the past year. Thank you for tolerating less than savory photos. Thank you for reading my ramblings. Thank you for your patience as I journal this thing called life. Thank you to everyone who has read, or will ever read.

Today's photos taken by my brother. Of course, I did all styling, camera settings, and composition.

18 comments

  1. I think you're photography is looking amazing!! I love these pictures and of course the outfit too! It's a cool mix of bohemian and grunge, which I love!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I am trying so much harder than I used to. Even when my husband or brother helps out with outfit posts, I do all the styling, camera settings, and composition! There is way more work that goes into an outfit post than the average person thinks. I am glad you love the look. I wasn't intentionally going for grunge, but since it's one of my style loves, it can't help but show through frequently! I can't wait to do more grunge looks this fall. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I think making quality one's top priority is the best thing any blogger can do. I've been blogging for nearly half a year now and am finally deciding to take the plunge and invest in a camera. While I do think that my content has reached a standard that I like, my photos -- not quite. I think you've got a great blog and your photographs are absolutely lovely!

    The outfit is definitely great for the fall transition. I absolutely love those shoes!

    May | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you dear! I highly recommend a starter DSLR. I'm a Nikon girl (d3200) but really, just get a starter DSLR that works well for you and get a 35mm or 50mm lens. The lens matters more than the camera, I promise you! You may even be able to get a good price on a used/refurbished body. :)

      Delete
  3. I love following your blog and watching how your photography has grown. Plus, I think I'm going to steal those boots... :) Confessions of an Ex-Ballerina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the boots are some of my favorite shoes to style... especially lately!

      Delete
  4. Hahah I totally sneakily repeat outfits too- some of them are just too good to appreciate once! And it's always so lovely to hear how someone else has grown. I completely feel you in the frustrations of ootds- when that harsh sun is out i want to just throw my hands up in the air and give up on it all. But the love of fashion prevails :) Speaking of which, girl your BOOTS. I have complete hearts in my eyes; they completely m ade your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I had no idea these boots would be so popular, but I am happy they are! And I agree - some outfits are too good to share only once. I also firmly believe in restyling! You don't need to have a huge wardrobe, just your core favorite pieces and versatile accessories. Mixing and matching has been my friend this year.

      Delete
  5. Those boots are amazing! I love them!

    theradwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your pictures are a great quality and you have a lovely blog! I absolutely adore over the knee woolly socks I could live in them! :) xxx
    www.samanthafrances.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always nice to look back and see how far you've come and how much you've grown. I'm a new blogger and I'm realizing how much there is to learn (but I love it!!). You look beautiful and your boots amazing!! Keep it up girl. :)

    Amy | http://amypham.me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've realized more this year then ever before how important quality is to my blog. Your blog is amazing quality, and so are all of your photos! I always love reading your posts ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw loving your body is such a great feeling. I'm happy you're at that point. I've been wanting a 50mm for about 2 years now. It's about time to take the plunge!

    Christina
    www.cityloveee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this outfit! It reminds me of something Aria from PLL would wear, especially those boots!

    Your photography has definitely come really far since a year ago! I love using my 50mm for blog shots as well, and it's so light, I carry it almost everywhere!

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've so enjoyed folllowing you on your journey, and it is true...your posts, photos, content, etc. just keep getting better!! These are such gorgeous photos of you!

    I could learn to take a page from your book and crack down and focus more on the blog, sharing interesting content and learning how to use my "new" camera (I got it almost two years ago and haven't sat down and tried to learn how to do anything cool with it yet). I'm feeling a bit distracted, a bit stressed (an understatement haha) and I just haven't been able to focus at all on my blog, hence the few and far between posts and the very delayed responses on my posts. Ahh, I'm just hoping to get out of this rut soon! Maybe I can use this post as some inspiration for me. :-)

    xx Chrystin
    http://amateandarottweiler.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just going to ask who does your photography when I read this post. Fabulous photos! Great blog! Love your stories and faith. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram