Welcoming Fall into My World | A Rose in Bloom
Easy, 70s inspired fall outfit - printed dress with over the knee boots.

Easy, 70s inspired fall outfit - printed dress with over the knee boots.
Well, it's officially the end of summer and I couldn't be happier. Goodbye bugs, goodbye giant hair, goodbye sweltering heat.

But wait, that's wrong, even though it should be right. Every year I face this wall, somehow believing that with the passing of Labor Day the world should magically turn shades of orange and the air should become clear and crisp. I expect this, though I do not think this has ever happened in my lifetime.  If you're like me you are itching to pull out all your fall clothes but sweaters and knee boots are not well suited to 90 degree evenings. The days are playing with my mind, giving me cool morning walks with my dogs and miserable 5:00 pm drives home. Yet, somehow, the days are cloudy so I do not even have the blessed summer sunsets to comfort me and remind me of the cool days ahead (because fall sunsets are equally beautiful). How am I to deal with this? I am simply waiting it out.
Nonetheless, I want to wear knee boots and thigh high socks and felt hats and kick leaves off the pavement and listen to the sound of them crunching under cars driving by. That is why I take immediate advantage of any day promising to be just a hair cooler than the one before. These pictures were taken during one of those days. The leaves had started to tumble and the temperatures were in the low 70s - a perfect transition so to speak. But the next day the heat was back, burning my face and seeping into my shoes. Still though, I love to look at this dress and feel fall creeping into my world. The embroidery around my rib cage reminds me of mums and other fall blooms. The earthy print on the bottom reminds of the upcoming leaf piles to rake up and then scatter again. And boots are really just my favorite shoe.


Easy, 70s inspired fall outfit - printed dress with over the knee boots.

Easy, 70s inspired fall outfit - printed dress with over the knee boots.
Easy, 70s inspired fall outfit - printed dress with over the knee boots.

Easy, 70s inspired fall outfit - printed dress with over the knee boots.

Easy, 70s inspired fall outfit - printed dress with over the knee boots.

Easy, 70s inspired fall outfit - printed dress with over the knee boots.


Dress and Boots: Free People
Tee Shirt and Bag: Thrifted
Socks: NA
Hat: Urban Outfitters
Necklace: Anthropologie
Sunglasses: Neiman Marcus for Target 


Friends,  all of these words now have thoughts dashing through my brain. I am thinking of ways I can welcome fall. What should I do? Make a special hot drink on the first cold day? Let a pot of soup featuring fall product simmer on my stove while reading a good book? Slide around the kitchen in my knee socks? Or all of the above? How are you going to be welcoming fall?

P.S. Can you tell I have a new lens? I finally ditched the kit lens and was able to purchase the delightful 50mm f/1.8. It's so delightful, in fact, that my husband asked to take these pictures of me instead of me using a tripod (as is normal for most of my pictures). Didn't he do a lovely job?

Follow

15 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was something different about the photos! Is it the new lens that allows you to get the super focused center with the blurry background? I love that and always wonder how people get that effect. I'm really bad with my camera. I'm really bad with technology in general.

    As for what you should do for fall...I would make a homemade chai tea latte, some date & nut cookies, burn a deliciously scented candle, and maybe crochet or knit a scarf. That would be my ideal fall day indoors. As for outdoors, it's always great to go for a walk, especially in fall with the crisp air and all of the colored leaves around you. Do you have any orchards near year? We have one close to my house back in NJ ...I think I go more for the apple cider donuts than the actual apple picking though haha

    xx Chrystin
    http://amateandarottweiler.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The lens lets you control aperture (the thing that determines how much light is in the picture). We shot wide open, which allows for beautiful, blurry backgrounds and sharp focus. I used to be really bad with a camera... sometimes I cringe at my really, really old posts. I've learned a lot over the 3 years I've been blogging lol.

      Home chai tea lattes! Maybe I need a fall bucket list too... I've always meant to learn how to make homemade chai lattes. It's time to learn! I started a scarf last year and never finished so maybe I will get on that too. I do have an orchard trip planned soon, firstly because I want apples, and secondly because I have a lovely (I hope) vision in my head for some outfit photos. I want to have fun with outfit shoots before it gets too cold again!

      Delete
  3. I could totally tell you got a new lens. Your photos look great! & omg, I'm going through the same thing. The California heat is INSANE. Like today is suppose to be the hottest day of the year. It's so gross. Bring on fall!

    Christina
    www.cityloveee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, one of the few times I am happy to NOT be in Cali. This weekend was really fall-y too so I hope it stays!

      Delete
  4. Those boots are AMAZING! Loooove them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are the Free People Joe Lace Up Boot.

      Delete
  5. LOVE this outfit! Those are pretty much the greatest boots I've ever seen and those socks are so cute! I totally want a pair like that for the fall and winter now!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! The socks were on Groop Dealz - I think they still have some so go have a look! I know Urban Outfitters has some similar looking socks too.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your new lens!! I have it and it's my most used lens for sure!! The pictures turned out great + this outfit is so perfect for welcoming fall! Happiest weekend, girly!! xo

    PS - YES, giving up wine can be so hard, but honestly I think a glass here & there is actually good for you!! Sadly it just hasn't been agreeing with me. Hopefully I'll be back at soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I haven't taken this lens off since it arrived. I love, love it, though I do want a 35mm at some point too as I find it a little easier to take pictures when it's just me and my tripod and remote. But I can deal with my husband taking them if they turn out like this. :) Also, I'm taking that "a glass here and there is good for you" advice very seriously. :P

      Delete
  7. I love the heat but I wont miss the huge hair either! I'm in love with the dress you're wearing that floral embroidered part is so pretty. not sure how I missed that on the free people website. i have the same lens that you're using and it's the only one I use for my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dress is actually a several years old. I think it came out 8 autumns ago? Either way, that might be why you haven't seen it. It's quite possibly my favorite dress of all time. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. This is such a great Fall look! I'm so ready for Fall. And those boots! Those are my absolute favorite Free People boots. I've personally had my eyes on a brown pair, but they keep selling out! They look so good on you!

    Amber | y a c h t s m a a n

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram