How to make time for reading when you really don't have any | A Rose in Bloom


 Reading. It is a heavy topic on this blog, partly because I am such an avid writer, partly because I am such a budget queen (libraries cost nothing out of pocket), and partly because, well, it is a lovely thing to do. But lately, will all the summer fun to be had, I am finding myself easily stuck in this dreadful little place called "real life."

What a bummer.

Truthfully, it makes me sad that I am easily seduced by Instagram and sunny walks (Instagram more so than the walks, definitely) but the fact is, this: for me summer is a very difficult time for reading. Yes, that is the opposite of what we are taught to be in school (summer reading programs, anyone?) but I am so stimulated by so many different things that it is damn difficult to sit still and do any one thing. Especially, it seems, things that are not multitask-able. Reading, I am talking to you.

Exactly how does one find time for reading when there simply doesn't seem to be any time for stillness?

You make time for stillness.



A little piece of advice that is much easier said than done, one must create his or her own time for stillness in which to incorporate reading. I'll even let you in on another little secret on how to do this: it doesn't have to be a great effort. Last week, I wrote about how to ease back into reading, and admittedly this advice is similar, though not exact: read just a little bit if you are strapped for time. Set aside 15 minutes that is a slot just for you, and simply read - anything. Read a short story or a poem or even a respected essay. A magazine even counts in this instance. Exercise your eyes across a page for a small, manageable amount of time, and perhaps you will find yourself craving more.

Perhaps, over the course a few months or so, you will find that you can make more and more time, based on your desires. You may find that a half hour a day (or less!) is all you will ever have time for (and never let any academic condemn you for it - you have your own life to live as best as you see fit. readers can often be quite judgmental to those who choose to spend some time on TV or other activities. you do not need these friends.) and that, my friends, is perfectly acceptable.

After all, 30 minutes of heart-rest and mind-race is healthier and happier than none at all. Pick up a short story today, or even a novel, and read it one word at a time.

Savor your stillness.



How will you put this into practice?

Stay Beautiful,

Liz

Follow

16 comments

  1. I would really love to start reading again as well, it has been awhile. It's far cheaper than shopping. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you use the library, it is basically free. :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great advice, actually! I am struggling with reading as well. I have a job and a blog to maintain, so not a lot of time is left to do some reading :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I hear you, I really do. That's why I have dedicated "leave me alone - I'm reading" times.

      Delete
  3. I never have time to really read during the school year, so I always make it my goal to read a lot during the summer. I totally agree, though, I really have to make an effort to do it, because it's hard to get yourself still and quiet in the summer. Lovely post, and beautifully written! Also your photos look so cozy and vintage-ish.
    I just discovered your blog and I'm oh so glad I did. You seem like a really interesting person!
    Julia | Julia in Bluhm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! I just moved, so I am getting into the groove of this new place, but it makes me happy to see that other people think it's looking nice. :D

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this! I love that it's not just a time for reading, but for stillness! You know how much I love reading, so I make a lot of time for it. I love reading right before bed. Sometimes I read during the commercials of a tv show. Sometimes I read on the toilet. Just keepin' it real. Sometimes I read in the bath. I honestly wish I could read while I sleep to give myself happy dreams. I also "read" while I drive because I listen to audiobooks via Overdrive.
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audiobooks are a great idea that I need to explore more. I do use them on road trips though and it totally makes all the difference in the world!

      Delete
  5. usually during summers, i read around 20 books (most of them being trashy novels about high school girls, but real books nonetheless haha).but this summer, i can't seem to fall into that flow of constant reading. maybe i haven't been finding good books :p but i do force myself to read for 30 minutes every night before i go to bed! even when i can't really fall into the stories, i think reading and observing other people's perspectives are both so important.

    http://hellokuo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is important, and it's great that you realize that. Reading before bed is also a great way to calm down from the day's stresses to give you a better, more productive sleep.

      Delete
  6. It's been quite a while since the last time that I had the chance to read real books. I miss reading :( I just can't find time to squeeze in and enjoy a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww girl, maybe you can squeeze in a hot bath this weekend and read a magazine! Good luck!

      Delete
  7. I loved this post! I adore reading but you're right, it can definitely be hard to make time to do it. x
    www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I try to time myself with blogging sometimes just to give my eyes a rest. I find reading helps undo the damage of screens. At least, it feels like it.

      Delete
  8. this is a brilliant post! i've been meaning to make time for some reading so this has been lovely to read :)

    xo Sarah
    Absolutely Sarah | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Just grab a little poem or short story. :)

      Delete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram