Are You a City Girl or a Country Girl? | A Rose in Bloom











Dress: Free People//Boots: Betsey Johnson//Sunglasses: Forever 21

What a day. I started with my hair up to beat the heat, then I decided I looked weird with my hair up so I took it down, and then, thinking I was done with fashion photos, put on my combat boots to go hiking. However, soon my husband began snapping away under the speckled tree lights as they played on my back and face and I couldn't help but love those pictures too. As I glared at the screen deciding which set of pics to share, it got me to thinking: am I a city girl, or a country girl? Is my fashion sense based on how I think it will look next to downtown alleys or against wooded arches?

As much as I always want to live in a big city, I always find myself sneaking off into nature settings for photographs. In fact, the whole reason I set up in front of the gray alley wall was to try something a little different. Something that made me uncomfortable. I wanted to challenge myself.

And I was uncomfortable, somewhat. I love the city, the hustle and bustle, the lack of silence, people everywhere, but for pictures... I'm still not sure. Woods are fun and I feel like I can work more efficiently in the solitude they provide. I admit that I feel like photography in the solitude of the woods or open fields has given me a sense of security in my photos. Maybe I just like that the scenery does half the work for me. Maybe I'm just too comfortable.

You see, there is so much to see in this wonderful city that I feel sad not sharing our glories with the world. We have beautiful architecture and brightly painted brick walls and lovely coffee shops and I love showing that Kentucky is not a state full of people missing teeth and drinking moonshine, but a state with cities full of artists, musicians, and a love for life. But then reality hits. People gawk at me as I hit my remote, as I jump up and down in a 2 second time frame hoping to catch the perfect shot... I don't mind their curiosity, but I do find it distracting. Can it be possible that a part of me needs pieces of both worlds? A place to work in quiet as I frame and hit shutters and a place to drink coffee in noisy cafes while writing stories about strangers? Maybe it is. But what will I do if I ever move to a big city? What if there aren't woods around for me to sneak off to?

I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there, because for living, I'm pretty sure I'll always be a city girl. I can't imagine waking up and not hearing the clatter of lives birthing a new day. I need the sounds of people starting their cars and coffee cup clinking against kitchen counters at 6 am and neighbors discussing what to pack for lunch. If I lived on a big farm in the middle of nowhere, or even in the suburbs, I know in my heart that I would be sad. I thrive on being in the middle of everything even if I do enjoy spending an hour or two in the woods once a week. What about you? Where do you find your soul fulfilled?

Follow

28 comments

  1. Oh, this is such a lovely post! I totally agree with you, I'm a city girl but I love to be in nature every now and then ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a nice feeling to have options, right? :)

      Delete
  2. I just stumbled onto your blog via hoda on joojooazad.com. I really love the second to last photo. You seem very much in your element. That aside, I'm not sure whether I prefer city or more rural areas. Because half of my life has been spent in urban areas and the other half, woodsy areas. I think I like the serenity of a woodsy/rural areas. I don't need to wake up to sounds like you were saying you do though haha.

    M.Dee | Duty Free Dame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly, thank you and welcome. I think this is part of what makes the States so different from the rest of the world. In most places, you know what you know because if you grew up in one extreme that's all there is! I have also spent my life half and half, so I think that's what makes us want a little of both. Sometimes having choices is overwhelming, haha. And the waking up to sounds thing is a weird little quirk of mine. I like to believe it's because A) I had 4 brothers as a kid so I've never had much quiet, and B) I did some study abroad in college in big cities so I got used to city noise. Now I love it. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I'm a city girl, but I do enjoy my quiet time. So I understand what you feel. I think you'll always be able to find a quiet place but maybe not as beautiful as the areas you have shown. They are enchanting.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the more I go through these comments, the more I agree that I am a city girl! You're right though, there is beauty everywhere. I mean, even in NYC there are lovely parks! So I'll find something I love anywhere I go. I do agree that Lexington is a really pretty city though. I am unsure if I will be staying here forever, but I am blessed to have spent the three years that I have spent so far.

      Delete
  4. Love the concept of these photos and that you are able to experience the best of both worlds!
    As for me, where does my soul feel fulfilled? Can't say I'm sure, but since I grew up in more of a country setting, that is where I seem to feel the best. Also, having two dogs, I'm just yearning for that day when we can buy a house with a yard. I need a little green in my life.

    xx Chrystin
    http://amateandarottweiler.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I don't really crave a yard for my dogs until it's 4 degrees outside and I just want to let them out to pee. HA. Seriously though, my dogs are spoiled city slickers now. My mom has a HUGE fenced in yard and they love it when we visit... for about two days. Then they are totally over it and want to stay in. However, I do walk them every day and give them porch time with the herbs and flowers, so that might be helping them in their outdoor needs. My pit is definitely a big old mama's girl so if I am not outside she usually doesn't want to be out either! However, like I said, a yard would be nice in the winter...

      Delete
  5. I've wondered this a lot myself, and I think I've determined that the ideal situation for me would be to live in a city (not a super big city, but one about the size of where I live now) and have a summer house out in the boonies. I've learned that for me, I need both things---hustle and bustle and people and new things as well as nature and quiet and solitude---in about equal measure.

    Great post idea! And thanks for stopping by my blog :) (Oh, and totally no judgment about how much stuff you used to leave out on your bathroom counter---I was SOOOO bad before my organizational project. And I've also read KonMari's book and have been taking some of her advice to heart as I go through the next phase of my simple living journey.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have tiny city apartment and a summer cottage. I'll add that to my dream list now.

      Haha, it was nice to know I'm not the only one with counter issues!

      Delete
  6. I've lived in the city, but I've found myself to be more of a small town girl. Not fully country, but the peace and quiet is what I crave with the convenience of a town. Although, if you want to buy me a house on the beach, I will live there till I die. Confessions of an Ex-Ballerina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto to the house on the beach! I can definitely deal with that lot in life!

      Delete
  7. I'm definitely a city girl x

    rocheosasu.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post ! I love the dress and the accessories, so dreamy, where is that coin necklace from? :)

    I could not dedicate myself fully just to city or country as well, the two mindesets are just too far apart. But you can still get lost in both areas, either in crowded streets or in the wide depths of nature. Either way, you have to rely on yourself and this is what I think matters in the end.

    X Enti

    http://tingsenlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coin necklace is from the Etsy store Soniz Design! She sells beautiful pieces from Turkey. Check out her shop; I am sure you'll love everything.

      https://www.etsy.com/people/SonizDesign

      Delete
  9. beautiful post, kisses:)

    http://www.itsmetijana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great dress! Definitely a city girl though I appreciate the country

    Made in MauveBloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a city girl but I definitely enjoy venturing out into nature a lot as well. I like how peaceful the woods can be, and the sunlight scattering through the leaves does make for pretty photos. You look lovely in these!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! Capturing that light pattern was actually my husband's idea. He's pretty smart. :)

      Delete
  12. You look beautiful! :) Your post got me thinking. Am I city girl or am I a country girl? I like to say I am a city girl but is it really true? My parents just bought a house on the country side and I absolutely love it. & honestly, I wish I had been living there during my childhood. I live in a big city now and I like it. But I truly do love the conutryside - I can always drive to the city. It's easier to go to the countryside when you live in the city... You post really hit something inside me :)

    www.thesparklingdarling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooh, I definitely agree. It's way easier to get out of the city than in.

      Delete
  13. Such a cute look! This is such a good post. I've always lived in the country, and I always thought I'd prefer the city. I tried it for awhile after high school, but it wasn't for me. I need the silence and nature. I do love venturing into the city as well though!

    Amber | y a c h t s m a a n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, all this wonderful feedback is making me really glad I wrote this post. It's wonderful that you enjoy nature. In fact, it's wonderful to see all these lovely opinions. Thank you for sharing your comment!

      Delete
  14. Such a cute outfit! I love the necklaces:))

    http://styleopium.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yoa very pretty girl! Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram