How Words Can be the Most Powerful Thing in the World | A Rose in Bloom
This post originally ran here. However, I have more interaction with readers now then I did then, and to be honest, I find it so very perfectly appropriate for this outfit post. It has been updated and edited.

Ever since I was a little child, words have been very powerful to me. The simple sounds, the reactions, and the emotions provoked. Little sounds made my child ear tingle and as I learned the power of words, I began to discover a whole new world.






I was the kid that used to run around thinking of words just to get a reaction out of my mother... just because I liked the power of them and they sounds they rattled into the air.

“Hey Mom!”
“What”
“Poop.”

This was usually followed by my mom chasing me around the living room threatening to wash my mouth out with soap (I was 3, after all). In fact, I did get to taste soap once because I said shit at church. I think that might have been the first time I really, truly began to understand that words had meaning. But I digress. Even now, as I try to be a writer, I think more and more of words... the echoes they create, the way some words can offend some and not others, the way words can tear you down of lift you up. Really, words can be the most beautiful pieces of art and are the most powerful weapons we possess.

Words can push our buttons, make our ears tingle, or spread joy. As I got older and into my late teens, I realized some words just sound… delicious. I can’t really think of a more fitting adjective, but do you know those words? The words that just sound beautiful and rich in your ears. Words that send a tingle down your spine. For me, one of those words has always been “photograph.” Even before I was [trying to be] into photography, there was something about the way it rippled out of the throat that made me want to shiver, yet left me feeling oddly satisfied. Another word is “rebellion.” I think it’s the way the almost “y” sound leaks through the air. Plus, I like the word “bell” so maybe that one is a double whammy. Either way, it’s something I've been noticing afresh lately – the way things sound and how it affects the mind and mood. Maybe appreciating the vibrations born into the air is healthy. Maybe it’s just weird. But sometimes, it feels good to appreciate something for no reason at all.

So tell me, do you have words that make you stop and think? Is anything delightfully rich as it echoes into your canals? Let me know!

Pictures of me taken by my brother. All others taken by me.

                                                                   Follow

13 comments

  1. Absolutely adored this post! So original and unique, and one that truly resonated with me (as do a lot of your wonderful posts). I definitely agree that words can be the most powerful weapons we possess. A few years back when I was reading books I used to look up the words I didn't know and try and remember them. Maybe it's pretty sad but as a writer I love learning and discovering and owning new words <3

    Sophie | soinspo xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I think we may have been born writers. From a very young age I knew that I just liked certain words. The sound, the meaning, the freshness of new words. It's nice to hear I wasn't alone. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, words are so powerful. I have lots of favourite words, and I like just browsing the dictionary looking for new words, and pretty sounding words, and the stories and origins of words. It's good to hear someone else is fascinated by words too!

    Also, the photos are really good - you can't go wrong with books and a library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can never go wrong with books! Dictionaries are fun, but I love to pull out the thesaurus for new words that mean things I am already familiar with. It's a great way to broaden writing.

      Delete
  3. "Another word is “rebellion.” I think it’s the way the almost “y” sound leaks through the air."

    Such a stunning description for the word, Liz. I love this post. As someone who is in awe of words, this resonated completely. Though my little journey with words only began a year or two ago where I started truly appreciating the complexity and beauty of words, it's been so exhilarating running around knocking on words and dictionaries and thesauruses.

    "Vindicate" strikes a chord with me -- it's the v, the coarse guttural "k" between the roundness of "d" and "t." The meaning of the word is extremely gorgeous, too. To deliver, to avenge, to free. Such a striking word.

    "Ennui" is one of my favourite words of all time. There such a delicacy, such a vulnerability in the way the word rolls of the tongue almost lazily, and how fitting for the meaning of it, too. I always love when a letter is doubled, too, so the consecutive "n"s is a defo plus point. Any word with the letter "u" is sacred in my eyes; what an underused letter but what an immensely interesting one!

    Loved this one, Liz (as always, really), loved it!

    May | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, vindicate is such a great word. I had to say it aloud just now to get all those little feelings you mentioned. I agree about "u"s as well... they are a very under appreciated letter. In fact, I always loved "u"s as a kid and would make words with them all the time just so I could use the letter U. Hah.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I love these pictures and everything you said! Words are incredible! I love reading them, I love writing them, a few simple words can make you feel better or make you feel worse. Rebellion is a fantastic word. One of my favorite Italian words is scrivere, which means to write. I've always liked the way it sounds.
    ~Sara
    Sincerely, Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, scrivere just gives me images of people writing with quills in tombs/caves like the ancient days. Such a nice example!

      Delete
  5. I was talking about something like this just last night! The power words have is really amazing ♥ Nice outfit by the way ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, little sounds make me happy!

      Delete
  6. I love your outfit! Super cute. And I loved reading your thoughts about words. I've thought about them before, but it's something I don't really think about. I think I tend to take things like that for granted and never think about the depth of them. xo

    Brainchild

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to as well, but I've really been making a point to appreciate more little things in life. Today, and every day now, that includes sounds. It's a joyous experience.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

I am always happy to hear what you think and will get back to you as soon as I possibly can. Please, do not leave follow for follow or ask me to check out your blog, or any other form of spam. Simply leave a link and I will be happy to look when I get the time. :)

Copyright Elizabeth Hisle. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram